The workshop will discuss and demonstrate with practical exercises the dual role of
gvSIG, the Open Source GIS application developed by the Generalitat Valenciana
(autonomous regional goverment of Valencia, Spain) and the IVER company. On one hand,
we will see with examples how to use the functionality that makes gvSIG a powerful
GIS application: data import and export, management of local and remote feature and
raster data sources -including OGC services-, feature geometry and attribute editing,
feature analysis and map production.
On the other hand, gvSIG has been an instrumental piece in the implementation of
OGC-compliant Spatial Data Infrastructures guided by the INSPIRE initiative. The
workshop will provide attendants with examples of how gvSIG can be used to author OGC
web services in combination with other FOSS packages.
The workshop will offer the software, data samples and guidelines with which
attendants can practice the following package features:
* Basic functionality: loading and displaying feature and raster data.
* Using data from OGC services: WMS, WFS, WCS.
* Searching data using catalogue services
* Feature editing and analysis
* Authoring a mini-SDI. Publishing of services with the help of other FOSS packages.
Duration of the workshop is two hours.